[ncsc-moths] 2011 Moth Year Wrapup--Watauga County and Halifax County, NC

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 07:37:54 -0500

Another exciting year has come and gone.  In 2011,  I recorded a total of
786 spp at Echo Valley Farm in Watauga County and 253 spp at my farm near
Ringwood, Halifax County.  Accounting for species I had at both sites, I
recorded a total of 909 spp for the year plus another 12 or so at other
places (Great Tiger at Elk Knob State Park for an example).  Looking
forward to another great year learning more about the distribution and
abundance of moths across the state.  I've attached an image of Arctia caja
(Great Tiger Moth), taken 30 July 2011 at Elk Knob State Park--without
question the mothing highlight of the year for me.

Happy New Year and Good Mothing!

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm