[ncolug] Re: upgrade fever

  • From: Mike <mikeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:33:39 -0400

M. Knisely wrote:
> I didn't say it wouldn't hose my system.  I will say that it will do
> better than the method that Larry mentioned.
>
> Mike K.
>
> Mike wrote:
>> M. Knisely wrote:
>>> Please, Please, PLEASE; DO NOT upgrade Ubuntu this way.  This is not the
>>> way to do an upgrade.
>>>
>>> Please use:
>>>
>>> gksu "update-manager -c"
>>
>> This is exactly what *Totally* hosed my system.  So much for using the
>> approved method.
>>
>> Mike

I wouldn't say it's better.  Using a boot CD from an ancient install,
along with apt and dpkg is all that recovered my system.  Bear in mind I
didn't use the old CD to reinstall only recover/repair a totally hosed
upgrade.

I am now happily running on Feisty not that it's all that.

Someday I need to figure out just how Ubuntu has moved away from init.
Upstart is the name.  It's supposed to be faster, more flexible, robust.
 Can't say that it's been any of those on this machine.

Also without init a "boot Linux init=single" drops you into a busybox
shell with very few tools, no devices.  I'm sure this is a lack of
knowledge on my part.  At least with init I could get to single user
mode and not have to bring up the system from that low of a level.

Guess it's time to google more and see if I can find more updated info.

--
Mike

http://www.bellyacresoh.com

Subject field.