[ncolug] Re: to further the misconception

  • From: "Mr. Knisely" <mrknisely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:07:15 -0500

larry wrote:

Two examples:

How many people, out of say, the entire staff of the Mansfield Library, could take an old workstation, and make it useful by getting DSL running on it?

How many people, out of our elite group of 20 or so users [ncolug] could take an old workstation, and make it useful by getting DSL running on it?

David Rakestraw wrote:

Everyone knows "old workstation hardware can be recycled into useable web
servers, firewalls and routers", but I'm saying if someone only has one old pc
at home or work it is still usable as a GUI workstation using certain linux
distos that are designed to do so (like Damn Small Linux).
For example, it uses Firefox, CUPS, SMBclient, vncviewer, rdesktop, sylpheed
email client and has pdf and MSWord readers. It uses fluxbox window manager by
default.
The literature on the website says it is designed to run on as little as a
486DX and 16MB of RAM. Anything older than that is probably a fire hazard.

(Not picking on you, Larry, just making sure everyone understand my perspective.)