[ncolug] small distros

  • From: "DiGioia, Larry" <larry.digioia@xxxxxx>
  • To: "ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 20:55:03 +0000

OK guys -

What is the fastest booting small live distro that will give me a browser?

I don't even care if it's a text based browser, it just needs to already be
there, and working, when it comes up. This needs to be on a flash drive, BTW.
All I need to do is authenticate to our Websense, then kill power, and boot my
other AV tools, which "assume" web access and have no means of authentication,
to get their updates. (Websense will not idle time out on a given IP for about
10 minutes.)

So far I have found that (on old machines of course) Knoppix (and variants) are
excruciatingly slow on HW detection, Lubuntu isn't actually very "light..." and
Puppy needs me to install a browser, etc.

Larry DiGioia
HP Technology Services
Rolls-Royce Energy Systems
105 N. Sandusky St.