[ncolug] Re: kernel

  • From: larry <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:38:25 -0500

An Athlon 2400 which, I believe, is K7.

David Fierbaugh wrote:
Is that a K6 or a K7? If it's a K6, you should be using the i586 series of
kernels. I know on some of them, it's tricky figuring out whether it's a K6
or K7.

On Monday 30 January 2006 21:59, larry wrote:

 I switched to i686, it is a little zippier, and now the sound works.
Thanks David!

 David Fierbaugh wrote:
On Sunday 29 January 2006 11:45, larry wrote:

I notice that I ended up with kernel 2.6.12-1-386

 It seems slow right now.

 Is this what I should have for an AMD 2400+ chip? Or should I look at 686
or K7?

I'd recommend at least going to a 686 kernel. Using a 386 gives the most
compatibility should you need to move your drive to another computer, but
lacks any of the newer optimizations and features.

Building your own kernel will result in the best performance, but you might
want to looking to your distros choice of sources before you do.
All list settings can be controlled at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi

the Subject field.

As scarce as the truth is, the supply has always
been in excess of the demand.

                                Josh Billings