[ncolug] Re: and the grub problem

  • From: larry <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 07:16:27 -0400

Now I am on 2.6.16-2-amd64-k8-smp, had to edit menu.list again.
Then I just had to manually change fstab from sdb3 and 5 to sda3 and 5, I have both processors and swap now. Just to repeat: Debian is WAY faster than Ubuntu.

Mike Bell wrote:

On 8/27/06, *larry* <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Debian rocks! And it's as fast as BSD.

    I now see what the grub problem was too - after Debian is up, it
    mounts
    a USB drive that I happened to have plugged in as sda. So that
    makes the
    first array sdb, etc.

    But to grub, early in the boot process, the first array is sda.

    Still having trouble getting it to mount the swap, and smb filesystems
    on the network, but I can get though that. Also need to install
    the smp
    kernel. But it looks like Debian is here to stay.

What kernel are you using?

In setting up raid1 for a host system all went fairly straight forward considering what I was trying to do. That is another story.

After several reboot one swap partition (sdb1) wasn't being swaped on. The kernel clearly sees the adapter, disk, and partitions. The problem was entries for devices on the second adapter weren't being created. After chasing my tail around for awhile finally got ticked off and just used mknod to create the devices in /dev. That was why the swap wasn't being activated, no device. Swap was being activated on /dev/sda1 but not /dev/sdb1. As I said /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1 just weren't there. So after creating the devices manually now it comes up fine. Also all the other devices on the chain now get entries in /dev dynamically. I noticed that in /dev there in now a .static directory. It has entries for sdb*. The only other missing device is for the mouse. I may not worry about that because X will probably go away once the UML setup is complete.

I'm still stumped as to what is really going on here. Hunch is that udev isn't picking up on things properly. It could be a timing issue. The kernel polling the SCSI adapters seems to me to take far too long. It's probably the longest delay in the whole boot process.

Mike

--
If fifty million people say a foolish thing,
it is still a foolish thing.

                             Anatole France (1844-1924)