[ncolug] Re: Wireless Fun

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 09:54:34 -0400

This looks like overkill to me. Not to mention the $1500 pricetag. That's 1500% more than the WiSpy solution. No thanks.

Mike K.

larry wrote:
I think this is what you want:

http://www.optoelectronics.com/xsweeper.htm

I have dealt with them for many years and they are good guys. Just saw their booth this weekend in Dayton...

M. Knisely wrote:

Well, I've been playing with wireless again lately and thought I'd share some fun things I've found.

First off, Kismet now has drivers for Broadcom cards!  Woo hoo!!

Secondly, I ran across a deal so good I thought it was a mistake.

When setting up wireless, you need to consider not just coverage, but availability of the frequencies needed to communicate. 802.11b/g uses channels 1 through 11; however, the frequencies bleed into the surrounding channels. The common method used to avoid overlap is to use only three channels 1, 6, and 11. Normally, one would just fire up Kismet, check for any other APs using the channel you want and then select the available channel.
Not a bad way to go, but what about other interferience? Microwaves, 2.4GHz cordless phones, florecent bulbs, etc all give off EMI that can cause lots of problems with wireless. Well, to find that out, you need a spectum analizer. Normally this type of device costs you in the range of $3500 and up. Well, I ran across an article while perusing Kismet's webiste where someone friendly to the FOSS community built one of his own and was selling it for under $100. Well, sounded too good to be true, so I did some reading and I must say if my job doesn't buy me one I'm buying myself one. Heck, I might get a personal one either way.

http://www.metageek.net/

Mike K.

Subject field.