[ncolug] Re: Switching from M$ to Ubuntu

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 11:21:35 -0400

I feel that your one bad experience with those HP printers has soured you on
CUPS, and for the life of me I can't figure out why.  It's a sucky
printer... not CUPS that caused your problem.  With just a little looking
you can see if a printer will work well, and if it won't, you will find a
very good writeup on exactly what the issue is. Don't bother with looking to
the manufacture for drivers; all major manufacturers are listed here:
http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

Next up, you might want to send him over to Wine's database on application
compatibility.  (
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&sTitle=Browse%20Applications&sOrderBy=appName&bAscending=true
)

I would also suggest that he can run MS inside a Virtual Machine for any
applications that will not run under Linux.  He would use the VM for those
aplications only, and all his browsing and email would be done under the
Linux box.

If he would like the ability to work remotely, he might also want to attend
the upcoming LUG meeting, as I'll be presnting a Linux Terminal Server
solution that would be of interest... though I have the feeling he's from
VA.

Mike K.