[ncolug] Re: Safe to partition for Ubuntu?

  • From: Mike <bellyacres@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 09:39:23 -0500

On 02/07/2016 06:43 AM, Larry DiGioia wrote:

Here is my colorful answer. I disagree that you can virtualize an OEM Windows install. That is what OEM licensing literally means: "licensed to run only on this computer that you bought." You will be asking for various kinds of trouble. Life is too short.

How about this. Joe buys a computer with Version X of Windows. Becomes frustrated and installs something else. Something else can run a virtual machine. Joe now installs Version X in said VM. Isn't that OEM license still running on the same computer?

Mike

Beside the fact that it quite clearly violates the license, there is literally no way to do it without hacking licensing restrictions one way or another. Even if you are successful, you will likely end up 6 months or a year later with that funny little message, "your copy of Windows is not genuine." And it will never connect to external hardware the way most people want.

I settled down to Windows and Debian side by side on separate computers. (The Windows one gets turned on maybe once a week.) Of course, I do have VM's available on each. But there will always be hardware that is better supported on Windows, and Linux will always have the edge on privacy. My Win machine also remotes in to work in various ways, which I could spend months getting to work on Linux. No thanks, computers are cheap.

On 02/06/2016 08:41 PM, Mike wrote:
On 02/06/2016 07:04 PM, Larry DiGioia wrote:
I believe he said he was trying to virtualize an existing Windows install on Ubuntu/Virtualbox, my comments were based on that idea.
I didn't read it that way! Regardless one can move an existing install *if* it has been activated with the sticker that is on the box and not the factory key. It's rather painful as I recall. First hurdle is the blue screen related to the disk. Somewhere out there is a reg fix for that.

I believe that what he was specifically wanting to backup and save is just user files.

Other quick thoughts on this. Kory and I has discussed it some but not at length. I just fed him a bit of info and let him research it.

I personally feel like he should just bit the bullet and install Linux. Period. Be it Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, whatever.

He is completely capable of reloading Windows if need be. He did it himself after we swapped out dying/dead harddrive.

If needed he can load whatever VM software to run Windows if he feels the need.

On the dual boot issue, yes it's doable, yes it's a PITA. I've personally not dual booted anything very recently. Not withstanding the default grub2 in Debian which will keep an old kernel available if you so choose. Really not dual booting in the sense that you are thinking of though.

Drivers are most likely not going to be an issue on his laptop for Linux. I've forgotten what his specific laptop is, but I really don't believe that he'll have issues that are unresolvable.

This really just feels to me to be that jumping point that we have all probably faced at some point. Do I commit to Linux, or whatever, or stick with what is comfortable? Kory, you have more than enough *nix experience, and brains to figure it out. Just take the plunge and don't look back. Linux is easier today than it has ever been, especially given that you have some background.

Save your data, load Linux, what is the worst case scenario? You lose some time and reinstall Windows?

Questions are always welcome here, answers likely varied, opinionated, colorful...

Mike

On 02/06/2016 02:15 PM, Mike wrote:
On 02/06/2016 11:28 AM, Larry DiGioia wrote:
The instructions you are referring to sound like they are meant to just transfer your documents to an Ubuntu installation, nothing to with dual-booting or virtualization. Personally, I gave up dual-booting in favor of virtualization years ago, and what I really do most is just run two (or more) computers side-by-side with Synergy.

Forget about "back up my Windows system." You won't be able to restore it to a VM. Just back up your documents and pictures, etc.

Then do a fresh install of Windows to a VM. It's really the only way anyway, since if Windows came with the computer (OEM version) then you have no way to install it anywhere else anyway. You might get as far as installing it, if you have the media - (which has not been provided with new computers for years,) but then it would never activate. You would need to buy a copy ($120 at Newegg.)
Larry I do respect your knowledge, but that last paragraph is pure out utter crap.

You reload an OEM machine and activate it with the sticker that came on the machine. What you can't do is use the key that was originally used to activate the machine. That key is specific to each OEM and is only usable by them. There is a name for that key, it eludes me right now. The media is out there still, even is MS has decided to not release it (for 7 and prior) anymore. It reality the original 7 disks contained wim files for *all* versions it installed based on the key you entered.

The largest piece missing without having an OEM disk will be drivers. You will also end up with a much cleaner install. Drivers aren't all that hard to find with a bit of patience.

I also don't play around with DVD's anymore either, again - new computers don't have them, they are going away FAST. Use a flash drive.

On 02/06/2016 10:11 AM, Kory Pounds wrote:
Linux guys,

You already know I am considering learning Ubuntu while still using my 64-bit Windows 7 Pro. I had talked with Mike Bell about virtualizing it first and he suggested Virtualbox from Oracle.

Well, I would actually love to run Ubuntu in its own separate space while not running Windows. I would like to learn Ubuntu and everything about installing drivers, detecting hardware, having to compile from source, accidentally trashing its partition out of my own stupidity, etc.

I went to Ubuntu's install page here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-ubuntu-desktop

They make it sound easy. First and foremost, I would backup my Windows system onto DVD. Then, I would burn their Ubuntu ISO to a DVD, restart my machine with it booting from the DVD. Like I said, Ubuntu makes it sound easy as long as I have that internet connection. Afterwards, every time I boot-up, I will get that screen that has me choose which OS to launch.

It will ask about what sizes I want the partitions to be. It will give a simple slide where I can move it around to my desired sizes. I have a 1TB drive and 777GB is still free! I am not even using half of my drive for Windows.

During setup Ubuntu will detect my hardware, download and install what it can, adjust settings and whatever else. Like I said, their webpage makes it sound easy.

So what do you think? I already sent you info about what Windows 10 actually and secretly does. I no longer want to be bound by the Microsoft giant who entangles itself with the federal government.

Please give me your serious opinions about this. Please give me solid info that back up your suggestions.

What do you think? Thank you, guys, for working with me over all these years.

Kory Pounds

--
www.oncedead.com <http://www.oncedead.com>

It is not what you do that determines who you are, it is who you are that determines what you do.ncol

--
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook."
William James