[ncolug] NOTACON highlights

  • From: Henry Keultjes <hbkeultjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NCOLUG <ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 22:25:11 -0400

Some neat links, Larry.

Did you look at the Portland OR link?

Did you or BethLynn invite that Jason Scott tp Ohio Linux Fest 2006 so he can buy pizza for all of us

Henry Keultjes Mansfield Ohio USA

larry wrote:

NOTACON Highlights:

I lead a sheltered life. I had never before seen more than 3 wireless networks appear on my laptop. On the 18th floor of the Holiday Inn Lakeside, I saw 14. (But I used the ethernet jack. This was a hackers con, after all...)

Elonka Dunin spoke on the Kryptos statue at the CIA HQ which has eluded cryptographers for many years, and is mentioned in the DaVinci Code. She has met the sculptor/designer, and consulted with Dan Brown. This one definitely kept my attention.

Jason Scott (I still have to find out who this guy is, he bought pizza for the whole con.) Ranted at high speed for an hour, with not one wasted word, about the failure of the Wikipedia community, and what it means to all online communities. This guy is sharp.

There was a make-your-own-linux demo based on slax, which looks to me to be very promising in the best-use-of-old-hardware arena, as we were discussing Thursday night. (I know, Ed, you probably already told us that.) He also mentioned "slax popcorn," haven't had time to look into it yet.

Good presentation on Linux sound. What a mess.

I talked with Beth Lynn for a while this afternoon (while at a Photoshop demo, I asked "if WPALUG knows she is a Photoshop user...") - told her about our friend (is he here on the list yet?) she pointed me toward "Free Geek Columbus" - http://freegeekcolumbus.org/ -

Computer Adoption

Computer Adoption is the process by which people give volunteer time working in the Free Geek lab building and learning about computers in exchange for a completed computer loaded with useful software. This computers is known as a "FreekBox <http://freegeekcolumbus.org/FreekBox>".