[ncolug] Re: FAX machine and MagicJack

  • From: Rob Gibson <nosbig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 23:29:14 -0400

You are correct...  MagicJack is a USB FXS device, designed to connect
an analog phone to MagicJack's SIP network using a computer as the
transport mechanism.

The device you are looking for is the same one that I use for my
cordless phone, the PAP2T-NA, which is a SIP Analog Telephony Adapter
(ATA).  It is available most readily from VoIP Supply for under $50
right now...  This device would let you use a standard SIP trunk
service with the device as-is and allow transition to a full-blown
Asterisk installation down the road.

The big drawback to using a device like this is that special
precautions to handling SIP across NAT.  Either place the ATA in a DMZ
or make sure to forward some RTP ports and configure the device to
correct the internal addressing.

To get around this limitation, try using a provider with IAX support.
I pay a little more than I might with a SIP trunk provider, but the
decreased hassle and increased security is very worth it.  Just one
port to forward from the outside world, and IAX is done.

I really want to try to make the SIP service magicJack is providing
work with Asterisk, even if it is a violation of the TOS.  I just want
to see if it is technically possible.  I am just curious, however, why
they even need the ad revenue from their little software app, which is
what I presume actually authenticates to magicJack's servers.  To be
honest, the more people who use it, the cheaper the cost is to provide
the service.  Each user reduces the marginal cost of a phone call due
to the increased capability of the "network."

Rob

On 10/5/09, cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A couple of things.
>
>  I stopped by The Shack the other day and learned that MagicJack has an
> analog port and a USB port.  I obviously need/want something cheap with an
> Ethernet port and an analog port.
>
>  When I was planning on moving over to Asterix I was NOT going to continue
> using the Magic Jack service.
>
>  Chuck
>

>  ---- "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > I'd check to see if they support fax; some of the TA providers do not.
>  > Also, you'll be violating the terms of service by using Asterisk to pair
>  > with the magic jack servers.
>  >
>  > Mike
>  >
>  > On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 7:27 PM, <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  >
>  > > Howdy.
>  > >
>  > > We have an old analog FAX machine that Susie would like to use.  (She's
> not
>  > > interested in learning how to use something much more complicated than a
>  > > "traditional" FAX machine...)
>  > >
>  > > I was thinking about using a MagicJack to interface the FAX machine.
> Once
>  > > I go digital telephony at the house I could still use the device to
>  > > interface the FAX machine to the Asterix system...
>  > >
>  > > Thoughts?
>  > >
>  > > Chuck