[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Tet and remembrance of the dead New Feature

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 05:57:27 +0100

** Mailing List Nasional Indonesia PPI India Forum **

Tet and remembrance of the dead New Feature

 Brennon Jones International Herald Tribune
 Monday, February 28, 2005

Vietnam II

HO CHI MINH CITY The end of April marks the 30th anniversary of America's
defeat in Vietnam, and many U.S. veterans are expected to return there, heads
filled with memories of the war and, undoubtedly, of former comrades killed or
lost in action.
.
The Vietnamese pay special respect to their own dead on Tet, the Lunar New
Year, which fell earlier this month. Finally, after three long decades, this
year's holiday saw an increase in the honoring of South Vietnamese soldiers who
died in the war fighting alongside U.S. forces.
.
In the "dark years" after the Communist victory, the Vietnamese government
dismissed such dead combatants as puppets of the former Saigon regime. While
elaborate cemeteries were built to honor Communist soldiers, the South
Vietnamese dead were accorded pariah status. Their cemeteries were neglected,
dishonored, sealed off or built over.
.
For many years, most relatives of dead South Vietnamese soldiers made little
effort to visit their graves. Large numbers were "Viet Kieu," Vietnamese who
fled into exile after the fall. But even those who stayed kept away, to avoid
being tainted in the eyes of Hanoi officials. Besides, with the Vietnamese
economy in shambles, most were too poor to travel to distant cemeteries or to
pay to maintain the graves.
.
One wholesale casualty was the old military cemetery in Go Vap, a northern
Saigon district. It was turned into an industrial park. Another was Mac Dinh
Chi, the bucolic European cemetery in the heart of Saigon. It had been the
resting place not just of French colonialists and their Vietnamese supporters,
but of Ngo Dinh Diem, the onetime South Vietnamese president, his scheming
brother, Ngo Dinh Dzu, and even François Sully, the French correspondent who
wrote for Time magazine. It is now a park and playground.
.
The former national military cemetery in Bien Hoa is the one that is seared
into my own memory. Created in the mid-1960s, it is the resting place for
thousands of South Vietnamese soldiers killed in the latter phase of the war.
As part of the crew for the documentary "Hearts and Minds," I visited it in
1972. We filmed the shattered bodies of young soldiers in the cemetery's
morgue, and long rows of hollow graves waiting to be filled with what seemed an
endless stream of arriving dead. We also documented one family's anguish as it
buried one of its own.
.
The experience has haunted me ever since, and after I began returning to
Vietnam several years ago, I revisited that cemetery. The first time, in late
2002, I was shocked at its condition. Cattle grazed in the high grass between
shattered and neglected tombstones, and the narrow roadways between cemetery
sections were being mined for soil by a nearby brick factory.
.
In January, however, I discovered a remarkable transformation. With Tet
approaching, countless graves were substantially rebuilt and freshly painted.
New planting abounded.
.
Local residents told me that Viet Kieu and other Vietnamese are increasingly
arriving at the cemetery. They are more prosperous now, and they know that the
Hanoi government in recent years has quietly taken an increasingly lenient
approach toward the cemeteries of these former South Vietnamese soldiers. It's
a promising start to what I hope will lead one day to full reconciliation.
.
On a visit to Bien Hoa, I talked with the wife and daughter of Nguyen Hang Anh,
a soldier who was killed in the Delta in 1974. Their home is in Quang Ngai
Province, in far-off central Vietnam. This was their first opportunity in 31
years to make what had previously been a prohibitively expensive trip to visit
Anh's grave. "Until now, we have been too poor to travel here," his wife told
me, as they bent over his grave burning a Tet offering to his spirit. It
included an expensive new shirt and pants, still in their wrappings.
.
Before I left the cemetery I gave some money to two old women, caretakers of
the graves for relatives of the dead who can't make the trip to the cemetery
themselves. I asked them to upgrade a few neglected graves on my behalf. "Chuc
Mung Nam Moi," I said. "Happy New Year!"
.
I meant it for those fallen South Vietnamese soldiers, may they rest in peace.
But I also meant it for all those young Vietnamese, from the north and the
south, who made the ultimate sacrifice, right or wrong, in a sad and tragic
conflict. I hope come April 30, Americans will remember each and every one of
them, just as we do our own.
.
(Brennon Jones was a journalist and social worker in South Vietnam from 1969 to
1971.)

DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5F6XtA/.WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc
Mohon Perhatian:

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
6. kembali menerima email: ppiindia-normal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Website resmi http://www.ppi-india.uni.cc **