[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Malaysia sets new worker deadline

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:56:54 +0100

** Mailing List Nasional Indonesia PPI India Forum **

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4262821.stm
Last Updated: Monday, 14 February, 2005, 09:06 GMT

Malaysia sets new worker deadline

Jakarta seems to have accepted Malaysia wants things to change
Malaysia has said a crackdown on hundreds of thousands of illegal migrants
will now begin next month.
Prime Minister Abdullah Badawi set the new date following talks with the
president of Indonesia, where most of the migrants come from.
The crackdown has already been delayed three times, giving illegal workers
more time to leave Malaysia before they face jail, whipping and fines.
The planned crackdown has been widely criticised by human rights groups.
"The soft operation to advise illegals to return home will continue until
the end of February. We hope by then, all illegals will return home," Mr
Abdullah said at a joint news conference following the two leaders' talks.
"From 1 March we will crack down on the illegals. We hope we will not have
to carry out the tough operation," he said.
Mr Yudhoyono thanked his counterpart for allowing Indonesians to continue
working in Malaysia.
"This surely helps them to earn an income, and also their contribution helps
in the development of Malaysia," he said.
"The problem now is how can we resolve their illegal problem?" he added.
"The Indonesian authorities will ensure those who exit Indonesia will come
with valid travel documents."
He did not mention a reported threat by Jakarta to sue Malaysian employers
for unpaid wages, simply noting: "We leave it to the Malaysian authorities
to find a way to resolve the issue of unpaid Indonesian workers."
The two sides were expected to sign a memorandum of understanding aimed at
easing the labour flow.
President Yudhoyono, who is on his first foreign trip since his election,
was also expected to thank Kuala Lumpur for its help after the 26 December
tsunami.
Malaysian volunteers were among the first to send aid to the Indonesian
province of Aceh, where more than 110,000 people were killed.
Malaysia has also pledged to help rebuild the provincial capital Banda Aceh.
Closer economic and security ties were also on the agenda.
As the region begins to prosper once more, Malaysian businesses are keen to
tap their southern neighbours' huge potential and Indonesia wants their
investment, the BBC correspondent in Kuala Lumpur says.

Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn.
Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4F6XtA/_WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc
Mohon Perhatian:

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
6. kembali menerima email: ppiindia-normal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Website resmi http://www.ppi-india.uni.cc **