[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Lawyer of Saddam aide says his health is worsening

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 07:37:16 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://newsfromrussia.com/world/2006/01/13/71085.html

Lawyer of Saddam aide says his health is worsening

01:15 2006-01-13
The health of Tariq Aziz, Iraq's deputy prime minister under Saddam Hussein,
has deteriorated drastically and he should be released from detention, his
lawyer and son said Thursday.

Lawyer Badee Izzat Aref said he saw Tariq Aziz, who is awaiting trial for
abuses under Saddam's government, on Jan. 10 in detention in Baghdad. He
"looked very tired and was walking with the help of a soldier," Aref said.

"He had also lost a lot of weight and told me he had suffered several slight
heart attacks," Aref told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from
Baghdad.

A U.S. military official denied Thursday that Aziz's health had sharply
deteriorated.

"I cannot say what his pre-existing medical conditions are, but his health has
not significantly diminished recently and there is no reason to believe that
his health is going to deteriorate soon," said the official, who spoke on
condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to talk to the media.

The official added that Aziz was suffering from existing ailments when he was
arrested after the overthrow of Saddam's regime in April 2003. He is detained
by U.S. forces under agreement with the Iraqi government.

"He receives professional medical care of the same quality received by all our
troops in Iraq, with a full-time medical staff dedicated to the care of those
held at the detention facility," the official said.

Aziz's son Ziad, who lives in Jordan, said he believes his father's health is
worsening, although he has not seen him recently. He said his mother and sister
Zainab left Amman on Thursday to go to Baghdad to see his father.

"I urge the Americans and the Iraqi government to release my father so that he
can get the appropriate treatment," Ziad Aziz told the AP.

At Christmas, the U.S. authorities allowed Aziz, who is a Christian, to speak
on the phone for a few minutes to his wife and family in Jordan.

In November, Aziz's daughters Zainab and Shaymaa visited their father in
Baghdad.

Aref said that he had spoken to the head of Aziz's detention facility about his
client's health and urged him to do all he can to secure his release. He said
he had also contacted the Iraqi Justice Ministry, reports AP.
O.Ch.

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx