[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Gulf Women Execs Talk Politics With Kuwait's Dashti

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 02:10:45 +0200

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=84915&d=6&m=7&y=2006&pix=kingdom.jpg&category=Kingdom

            Thursday, 6, July, 2006 (10, Jumada al-Thani, 1427)

                  Gulf Women Execs Talk Politics With Kuwait's Dashti
                  Ebtihal Mubarak, Arab News

                  JEDDAH, 6 July 2006 - Rola Dashti was in town yesterday after
running unsuccessfully in Kuwait's parliamentary elections last week, which,
for the first time, allowed women to run and vote.

                  While none of the 28 women who ran for office in Kuwait won,
Dashti dismissed the idea that women were working against the cause.

                  "That's not true at all," she said yesterday at the first
seminar organized by the nascent Saudi Business and Professional Women's
Association (SBAPWA).

                  The forum was organized and attended by Saudi and Gulf women
to discuss their role in business, politics and society at large.

                  Reflecting on her recent campaign, Dashti said women
candidates in Kuwait faced many difficulties but continued to run their
campaigns despite all odds.

                  "Some of us received death threats," she told the audience.
"Campaign signs were removed. I personally was offered 700 votes if I covered
my hair and wore hijab. I refused. I would not think of using religion in such
a manner."

                  The discussion in the session titled "Women - the Driving
Force for Economic Growth: Real Life Success Stories from Middle East and North
African Women" heated up on the topic of political participation.

                  Each speaker talked about her experience in her own field and
how they overcame the obstacles with strong determination and will power.

                  Afnan Al-Zyayni, a Bahraini business executive who lost her
campaign last year to become a member of the Bahraini Business Council, blamed
her women colleagues for the loss.

                  "There wasn't enough support from the women's side," she
said. "Out of 1,600 registered businesswomen only a few showed up. We need to
support each other to reach these decision-making positions."

                  Dashti disagreed with the implication that women weren't
doing enough for the cause, but both executives agreed that political
participation is not a matter of choice anymore, but rather a necessity for
women in the region. Dashti referred to the relatively endemic rate of
unemployment of women in the Gulf countries.

                  "We have to eliminate attitudes in the workplace and in the
areas of economics and trade. Women have to enroll in common life and
decision-making issues. This can only be done through political reform," said
Dashti.

                  Raja Al-Garg, a business executive from the United Arab
Emirates, pointed out that women represent 20 percent of the work force but
only hold about five percent of managerial positions.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/BRUplB/TM
Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx