[nasional_list] Re: [ppiindia] Freedom of Speech in US? Prof. Ward Churchill dipecat

  • From: "Carla Annamarie" <Carla.Annamarie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ppiindia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:46:37 +0700

** Mailing List Nasional Indonesia PPI India Forum **

im agree with you..
i think if Ward declared his statement publicly abt what he called-9/11
victims to nazis..it's his freedom of mind and speech..even it's so absurd
and only fools by that..but it his rights which protected under First
Amendment US consitution.., liked a michael moore stupid documentation,
anyway, i think it wont effect the freedom of speech in US generally..,
still to banned something like that u have to get a court order..and it's
not that easy in US, in US civil right is so highly respected and
protected..but perhaps there's a political and social changing of
atmosphere in US since the 9/11..., so everything that related to 9/11
still traumatized them in certain kinda way.., who doesn't anyway?
but i think it wont effected to the development and continuity of freedom
in US.., bcs freedom is america.., and america is freedom..,right?

                      "Khairur Razi"

                      <rozie@xxxxxxxxx>        To:
ppiindia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                               cc:

                      02/10/2005 01:02         Subject:  [ppiindia] Freedom of
Speech in US? Prof. Ward
                      PM                        Churchill dipecat

                      Please respond to

                      ppiindia

Pengantar:

sebenarnya sejak kalangan kanan di bawah Bush berkuasa, dan mendapat
momentum dg tragedi 9/11/2001, AS tidak lagi sorga bagi freedom of speech.
berbagai peraturan diberlakukan untuk membungkam suara2 yg melawan dan
dianggap kontroversial. hal yg sangat bertentangan dg spirit pendiri dan
konstitusi amerika.

freedom of speech, di samping liberty and equality, adalah salah satu
faktor utama banyaknya pakar2 jenius yg nyeberang ke AS dari negara lain.

salah satu korban dari pembungkaman ini adalah prof. Ward Churchill dari
universitas colorado yg mendapat sorotan cukup luas di media mainstream.
Esai Churchill yg menyamakan korban 9/11 dg nazi dianggap sangat
kontroversial dan tak dapat diterima. kalangan rektorat yg sebenarnya
membelanya sebagai spirit dari freedom of speech pun terpaksa memecatnya
karena desakan kelompok penguasa, termasuk gubernur colorado sendiri.

bagi saya, bagaimanapun kontroversialnya, freedom of speech is freedom of
speech. sekali bicara kita dibungkam, tindakan itu akan disusul dg
pembukaman2 berikutnya. dan itu tidak sehat bagi perkembangan intelektual
di AS.

dalam konteks ini, saya jelas tidak setuju dg sikap kalangan islam 'kanan'
di indonesia yg ingin memboikot ulil dg kontroversi artikelnya di kompas.
kontroversi ilmiah, menurut saya, hendaknya dibalas dg konter yg ilmiah
pula, bukan dg kekerasan.

kembali pada amerika, apabila cara pembungkaman seperti ini berlanjut, kita
akan melihat skala menurut dari perkembangan intelektual di AS ke depan?
bagaimana menurut Anda?
(Razi)

Professor sticks with comparison of Nazis, 9/11 victims
Wednesday, February 9, 2005 Posted: 9:49 PM EST (0249 GMT)

Professor Ward Churchill is the author of a paper that compared 9/11
victims to a Nazi who planned for Jewish extermination.

Colorado professor Ward Churchill defends his essay.

PLAY VIDEO

RELATED
Faculty defends professor

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
   University of Colorado

 American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)

 Colorado

 or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

BOULDER, Colorado (AP) -- A University of Colorado professor who likened
September 11 victims to Nazis got a standing ovation when he told a campus
audience of more than 1,000 people that "I'm not backing up an inch."

Ward Churchill, who had filed a lawsuit after the state university
threatened to cancel his address, was interrupted several times by
thunderous applause.

Churchill has resigned as chairman of the university's ethnic studies
department. Gov. Bill Owens has called for Churchill to be fired, and the
university's Board of Regents is investigating whether the tenured
professor can be removed.

"I don't answer to Bill Owens. I do not answer to the Board of Regents in
the way they think I do. The regents should do their job and let me do
mine," Churchill said to thunderous clapping. "I'm not backing up an inch.
I owe no one an apology."

In an essay, Churchill wrote that workers in the World Trade Center were
the equivalent of "little Eichmanns," a reference to Adolf Eichmann, who
ensured the smooth running of the Nazi system. Churchill also spoke of the
"gallant sacrifices" of the "combat teams" that struck America.

The ethnic studies professor said Tuesday his essay was referring to
"technocrats" who participate in what he calls repressive American policies
around the world.

A longtime American Indian Movement activist, he said he is also culpable
because his efforts to change the system haven't succeeded. "I could do
more. I'm complicit. I'm not innocent," he said.

The Boulder Faculty Assembly, which represents professors at the Boulder
campus, has said Churchill's comments were "controversial, offensive and
odious" but supports his right to say them based on the principle of
academic freedom.

During his 35-minute speech, Churchill said the essay was not referring to
children, firefighters, janitors or people passing by the World Trade
Center who were killed during the attacks.

The essay and follow-up book attracted little attention until Churchill was
invited to speak last month at Hamilton College in Clinton, New York, which
later canceled his talk out of security concerns.

University of Colorado officials cited those same concerns but backed off
after Churchill filed a lawsuit earlier Tuesday asking a judge to force the
school to let him speak.

The crowd Tuesday night was loud and orderly as Churchill spoke: "I do not
work for the taxpayers of the state of Colorado. I do not work for Bill
Owens. I work for you," he said.

About two dozen police officers were scattered inside and around the
ballroom where the speech was given. Most of those attending supported
Churchill.

"I've read some of Ward's work," said 26-year-old Vinita Laroia, an
environmental studies major. "I think what he has to say is true and
interesting. I wanted to hear his actual voice say what he's thinking."

The ACLU issued a statement defending Churchill's right to speak out and
called on regents, legislators and the governor "to stop threatening Mr.
Churchill's job because of the content of his opinions."

David Horowitz, a champion of conservative causes who has long accused
American universities of overstocking their faculties with leftists, has
said firing Churchill would violate his First Amendment rights and set a
bad precedent.

He called instead for an inquiry into the university's hiring and promotion
procedures to see how Churchill managed to rise to the chairmanship of the
school's ethnic studies department.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may
not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Khairurrazi
Aligarh Muslim University
Uttar Pradesh, India

--
India.com free e-mail - www.india.com.
Check out our value-added Premium features, such as an extra 20MB for mail