[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Free speech and civic responsibility

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 03:13:56 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/05/opinion/edramadan.php

      Free speech and civic responsibility
      Tariq Ramadan Tribune Media Services International

      SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2006

      GENEVA There are three things we have to bear in mind about the
controversy over the cartoons published in the European media depicting the
Prophet Muhammad.

      First, it is against Islamic principles to represent in imagery not only
Muhammad, but all the prophets of Islam. This is a clear prohibition.

      Second, in the Muslim world, we are not used to laughing at religion, our
own or anybody else's. This is far from our understanding. For that reason,
these cartoons are seen, by average Muslims and not just radicals, as a
transgression against something sacred, a provocation against Islam.

      Third, Muslims must understand that laughing at religion is a part of the
broader culture in which they live in Europe, going back to Voltaire. Cynicism,
irony and indeed blasphemy are part of the culture.

      When you live in such an environment as a Muslim, it is really important
to be able to take a critical distance and not react so emotionally. You need
to hold to your Islamic principles, but be wise enough not to overreact to
provocation.

      For Muslim majority countries to react emotionally to these cartoons with
boycotts is to nurture the extremists on the other side, making it a test of
wills. On one side, the extremists argue: "See, we told you, the West is
against Islam." On the other side they say, "See, Muslims can't be integrated
into Europe, and they are destroying our values by not accepting what we stand
for."

      This way of opening a debate on emotional grounds is, in fact, a way of
closing the door on rational discourse.

      What we need now on both sides is an understanding that this is not a
legal issue, or an issue of rights. Free speech is a right in Europe and
legally protected. No one should contest this. At the same time, there should
be an understanding that the complexion of European society has changed with
immigrants from diverse cultures. Because of that, there should be sensitivity
to Muslims and others living in Europe.

      There are no legal limits to free speech, but there are civic limits. In
any society, there is a civic understanding that free speech should be used
wisely so not as to provoke sensitivities, particularly in hybrid,
multicultural societies we see in the world today. It is a matter of civic
responsibility and wisdom, not a question of legality or rights. In that
context, I think it was unwise to publish these cartoons because it is the
wrong way to start a debate about integration. Such a move inflames emotions;
it does not court reason. It is a useless provocation.

      How does one imagine that the average Muslim in Europe who opposes
terrorism will react seeing the Prophet Muhammad depicted with a bomb in his
turban? Publishing these cartoons is a very stupid way to address the issue of
freedom of speech.

      Now it is a power struggle. Who will have the final word? Who is right?
Who will have the upper hand? What do we want, to polarize our world or build
bridges?

      Look, let's have a true debate about the future of our society. Muslims
have to understand there is free speech in Europe, and that is that. On the
other side, there needs to be an understanding that sensitive issues must be
addressed with wisdom and prudence, not provocation. Just because you have the
legal right to do something doesn't mean you have to do it. You have to
understand the people around you. Do I go around insulting people just because
I'm free to do it? No. It's called civic responsibility.

      (Tariq Ramadan is a visiting professor at Oxford's St. Antony's college
and a senior research fellow at the Lokahi Foundation in London. He is author
of "Western Muslims and the Future of Islam . This Global Viewpoint article was
distributed by Tribune Media Services International. His comments are adapted
from an interview with Global Viewpoint editor Nathan Gardels.)

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx