[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Aceh Peace Talks Struggle Over Autonomy, Secur

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:14:30 +0100

** Mailing List Nasional Indonesia PPI India Forum **

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=519395

Aceh Peace Talks Struggle Over Autonomy, Security

Reuters
Feb 21, 2005 - By Brett Young and Raj Rajendran

Hesinki [Reuter] Peace talks between Indonesia and separatists from the
tsunami-devastated Aceh province are bogged down over autonomy and security
issues, mediators and a rebel spokesman said on Monday.
Indonesia and the Free Aceh Movement (GAM) are meeting for the second time
in three weeks, seeking a lasting peace for the gas-rich province on the
northern tip of Sumatra island.
"We are still working out the details. We've not come to any agreement yet,
we are still discussing the sticking points," GAM spokesman Bakhtiar
Abdullah told Reuters. "We haven't reached any common ground."
Abdullah said five issues were on the agenda: special autonomy, security
arrangements, an amnesty for the rebels, and a monitoring system and
timetable for any possible deal.
The talks, held in a manor house outside the Finnish capital and mediated by
former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari, are scheduled to run until
Wednesday.
Ahtisaari's Crisis Management Initiative (CMI) group said in a statement
special autonomy talks covered provincial elections, among other things. A
ceasefire was also discussed. It said the sides met separately as well in
joint sessions with Ahtisaari.
"The situation is very hard and challenging," said Pauliina Arola at CMI.
"It is difficult to assess whether both sides are willing to give and take."
An Indonesian spokesman was not immediately available for comment.
AUTONOMY OR INDEPENDENCE?
The sides were brought together by the Dec. 26 tsunami, which hit the
province especially hard. Almost 240,000 people were killed or went missing
and more than 400,000 others were made homeless.
Indonesia has said it is willing to discuss special autonomy and "topics
around that" for Aceh, where the 30-year-old conflict has cost more than
12,000 lives.
The autonomy deal offered by Jakarta includes concessions toward self-rule
and Islamic law in the devout Muslim province and a bigger slice of the
economic benefits from Aceh's energy resources.

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O.5XsA/8WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc
Mohon Perhatian:

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
6. kembali menerima email: ppiindia-normal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Website resmi http://www.ppi-india.uni.cc **