[nas-2000] Re: firmware: 2.3.2.IB.2.RS.1 / ssh-server plugin...

  • From: "Alfred Bruckner" <alfred.bruckner@xxxxxx>
  • To: <nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 11:16:44 +0100

Hi,

You only need the red=5V black=GND, the yellow one is 12V which is not used
by 2,5" drives.

The NAS has no connection to earth if it is only connected to the power
supply and the network because psu and network are floating (no connection
to GND).

If you connect the NAS through USB you automatically get a connection to
earth through the USB cable and the PC.

If you experience ESD (electrostatic discharge) problems, the best would be
to connect the metal cover to earth or your PC.
The case has no connection with GND.

Note: ESD very easily destroys hardware if you touch any connector pin or if
the spark can reach any PCB trace.
Hint: always touch something connected to earth before.

Greetings,
  Alfred (hardware design engineer)