[nanomsg] status on pull request 369 - websocket changes

  • From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 18:25:50 -0800

I’ve got an outstanding pull request — #369 — that fixes some issues with
websocket and as a result mangos websocket would be compatible with nanomsg.
These include changes to the RFC, as well as fixes in the code.

I would *really* like to see that integrated, rather than stagnating.  The
original author of the websocket transport has already given it his thumbs up.
What else is required to see this move forward?

I’m concerned that the process for figuring out what gets accepted, and what
doesn’t, is too opaque.  In particular, I’m going to be making another round of
changes — I need to fix the Surveyor protocol to use a backtrace just as Martin
had discussed earlier — this will include RFC updates and code changes.

Yet I’m concerned — Martin seems to be  busy as we’ve hardly heard from him of
late, and the project seems to be running somewhat rudderless.  That makes it a
somewhat scary proposition for companies like mine that are planning on using
this stuff in production.  My fear is that nanomsg itself will stagnant due to
lack of developer involvement.  It would be really really unfortunate for
libnanomsg to become abandonware.

        - Garrett