[nanomsg] Re: .NET wrapper for nanomsg

  • From: Paul Colomiets <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gonzalo diethelm <gdiethelm@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:52:02 +0300

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM, gonzalo diethelm <gdiethelm@xxxxxx> wrote:
> In the Java binding for nanomsg there is (yet) no polling support. It should
> be possible to integrate nanomsg polling into the native Java mechanism, but
> this is such a poorly documented area in Java that I have not been able to
> find the time / energy to do it.
>
> In that sense, maybe adding a ZQM-style nn_poll() function could be of help
> for Java and other non-BSD-friendly languages... But I don't really want to
> push this if it totally breaks the simplicity of nanomsg.

We just recently discussed it on IRC. The complicated part is that
when there is nn_poll for nanomsg we need to integrate other kinds of
sockets into nn_poll. When it's done (e.g. in a way zmq_poll works),
then everything written in Java doesn't work on top of that anyway.
E.g. you (probably) can't run java.nio loop on top of nn_poll. So IMO
it's better to write integration code for every platform, than to have
nn_poll solving only half of the problem.

Anyway there are rumors that it's impossible (to integrate
NN_RCVFD/NN_SNDFD into Java). Can you disprove that?

--
Paul