[nanomsg] Re: Monitoring, another approach

  • From: Paul Colomiets <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 00:22:54 +0300

Hi Martin,

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 14/09/13 23:57, Paul Colomiets wrote:
>
>> Then internally, it's a set of counters in socket structure. And a
>> single error state per socket.
>> Can we agree on this?
>

> The errors should definitely exist on per-connection basis. Which means 1
> error per endpoint -- on the connecting side; not sure about the binding
> side.
>
> I guess there may be also some errors on nanomsg socket level, although I
> cannot think of one atm.
>
> As for statistics, I would say one set of counters per nanomsg socket should
> do. Going down to the per-connection level may be an overkill.

Ok. So my strategy would be:

1. Make a branch "monitoring_internals" with counters, error states
and stub functions that submit data

2. Make a branch "monitoring_impl" that submits data via ESTP +
syslog. At least these protocols are easier for me to play with

3. Reiterate both branches with different semantics/protocols, until
satisfaction comes :)

What do you think?

--
Paul