[nanomsg] Re: Alpha Python bindings.

  • From: Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 06:35:24 +0200

Hi Tony,

Nice! I've added a link to you project to nanomsg.org

Martin

On 27/08/13 23:22, Tony Simpson wrote:
Hi All,

I've done some work on a python binding to nanomsg.

https://github.com/tonysimpson/nanomsg-python

I consider it experimental at the moment but I think its already a
viable option for CPython 2.6+ or 3.2+

My plan is to write very low level wrappers as close to the C API as
possible then build a more "pythonic" wrapper on top of that. My
assumption is this will allows for the widest audience, those who want
to minimise function calls and use zero-copy can use the low-level api
and those who want a simpler more pythonic api can use the high-level API.

The high-level api will be pure Python which should make it easier to
maintain and the low-level api will be kept simple and close to the C
API and will have different implementations for different Python
interpreters (I'm focusing on CPython and Pypy for now).

Currently only the low-level api is present and implemented for CPython,
I have tested it on 2.7 and 3.2 on Linux and 2.7 on windows but only
manually via IPython. User kubo39 on github sent me some patches which
add a test which is great and I intend to add more.

I'd appreciate feedback and suggestions on the code and design.

Also if anyone is work on on similar Python or Ruby wrappers I'd like to
discuss ideas around the higher level api.

Cheers,

Tony