[nama] Feature idea: burning CDs

  • From: Julien Claassen <julien@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 18:11:20 +0100 (CET)

Hello fellow Namaites!
I recently talked to a friend working with Ardour and he told me, that Ardour directly supports creating and burning of CDs via wodim/cdrecord. I'm not sure, if it actually runs the command, but it certainly creates the necessary toc-file for the CD. I wondered, if this might be possible in Nama. Create an album project, nothing special, as far as the project goes. Link in the the tracks or import them or for what it's worth record them. As I say, nothing special about the start of that project.
  Then position the different tracks with shift, until they're right.
Perhaps have a CD mode, where one already has specfial convenience commands for this. Since what you want to do is: position one file after the other - with optional gaps of arbitrary length. There are ways to do things like hidden tracks (I'll have to look up, how those are designed in a toc-file, but I'm sure, it will work with just single .wav-files). Then there is the question of CDtext to be entered. One could have just a printed note, when entering CD-mode, to say, that to normalise all tracks, one could use the autofix command. Perhaps here too we might add a convenience command, to normalise to a certain level. Which would involve ecanormalize and then ecasound -eadb:... in succession. If we are really going for absolute comfort, we might also offer to burn the CD. You already have some variables in the .namarc, one might allow for one more, which would be the burning command. I think with both wodim and cdrecrod you ave a command, which at some point just involves the dynamic element of the toc-file, the rest can be static. In a first installation, one might ask for that command and give a sensible wodim line as a default. One could also divide it a little more, depending on how much work this would take, to give a basic line for wodim and for cdrecrod and offer completely new command. Then the typically varying parameters are; cdrom-burner-device, burning-speed. If the user chooses to enter another cd-burning tool, it's her responsibility to ensure, that its toc-file format conforms to that used by cdrecord and wodim. There is cdrdao. If anyone else is interested and Joel, if you could be coaxed into implementing something like it, I'd be very glad to check the specifics of the three mentioned applications as to commandline options and toc-file format and the restrictions on files for arbitrary tracks. One thing, which has to be done, to make sure, that the CD is ready to burn, is of course converting all the files to linear PCM, signed 16bit, 44100Hz, stereo WAv files. But we already have the structure for most of this in place. Everty mono track gets played back as stereo and for the import function, Nama already does checking of samplerates and bitdepth, if I'm not mistaken. That is what I so love about Nama, there are already so many wonderful features and infrastructure in place, to think about new features in terms of reusing existing ones. This is the sign of a well designed piece of software. I love it! :-)
  Fantasisingly yours
           Julien

Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;

======      Find my music at      ======