[nabga] Succession

  • From: barry bonnell <bsbphd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <joemarler@xxxxxxx>, <nabga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 20:18:35 -0500

Joel yesterday you wrote: I am so tired of turning on my computer to find so
many remarks about which nothing is going to be done. Only when or if the IBGA
forcdes the USBGA to comply with international rule about full participation
will anything be accomplished. I just don't want to continue or add to my
frustration by receiving more of these emails.
Joel, I have taken you off the listserv.
Originally, I started this letter to you Joel, because you requested that I
remove you from the listserv. Before I was able to finish it Bruce and Joe
asked to be taken of the listseerv. I, therefore, thought appropriate to
include all members who are considering letting their membership expire.
Indeed, the group of people making up the NABGA is beginning to sound like a
group of USBGA old guard or perhaps a little klu klux klan. Did you ever stop
to think that this is the way the civil war started? Giving up your vote
accomplishes nothing but burt your friends. However, if you really wan to be a
separatist you should resign your membership as did Ty Tompson. Make a clean
cut. Don't let Phil Hubbard and those of us who are back in the battle expect
that some day we may have your support.
So Now, who do you think is going to do something about it if we just quit and
give up our votes. Regarding your second sentence, Bob Andrew has been the IBGA
Board member representing the USNGA since its inception. Who is going challenge
Bob this year when his term is up? Not you. Not Bruce, Not Mark or anyone else
who considers himself part of North American Blind Golf Association except
Charlie Adams who is maintaining his active membership by paying his dues. Good
luck Charlie, I support your efforts. I sincerely hope you can get these guys
to support you. Perhaps you should get them to write a letter of recommendation
for you and have them send their letters to Sheila and the board before they
all give up their rights to do so.
Joel, I find your final remark particularly ironic since the only one, let me
repeat, the only one who has submitted a sour email to the listserv is Bruce
Hooper! Bruce please find my evaluation of your email attached. I made comments
on it before I knew that you wanted to be taken out of the discussion.
Seems rather ironic not to use the listserv for the following reteric but I
honestly think that all our members have had enough sour grapes. I know I have.
But yes, if I sound as though I am venting, you are right, I am. What I am
going to say now has more to do with the status of friendships than it does
with USBGA politics.
Prior to my involvement with the Board, you listened to and considered my
opinions. However, since the great resognation, that has all changed. I expect
that initially because I agree with you about the equality issue, you may have
expected me to follow the band and protest by not paying my dues thereby giving
up my rights to vote. Sorry to disappoint you. This may not be the case, but is
the hypothesis that best fits the data. Let me know if I am misreading you. If
this is true, I wish you would consider that regardless our view points, I
would never have met any of you if not for the USBGA. We have decided to take
different roads in the fight against discrimination.  I thought that I
understood reasoning for selecting the road you choose, I don't. I am pretty
sure that you received my email regarding my resignation from the board. I do
not believe anymore that our reasons were the same. I just do not things will
change by themselves and I do not think that I can change the minds of the old
guard alone.  joel, you are a smart man. So are we all smart men. The bylaws
are the rules by which we govern the association Unfortunately, the bylaws are
filled with loop holes and verbiage that leads to mistrust and bias. But do you
honestly think that we can change those rules, if we give up our right to vote?
Mark, I would also like you to consider this. Participation in your tournament
has been limited to ten and depends on how many times one has played in your
tournament before that up coming. I was turned down because of space
limitations the first year that I applied. I have played in your tournament
each year since then. I was turned down this year because of space limitations
after winning my B3 devision last year. I guess there will be no defending my
championship. I will miss the chance to get my but kicked by Charlie this year.
 I have also worked very hard against great odds to combat the inequality of
the old guard. I expect more than most of but not all of your guests. I am
pretty confident that not all of your guests have seniority as you told me was
the requirement for acceptance. Likewise, I am also restricted from playing in
the Guiding Eyes  tournament and contrary to Bob Andrews assertion that no one
has been told that they could not play in a USBGA National, I was told by Jim
Baker that I could not play in 2005. That's right I was rejected because of a
space limitation. So how do you escape the stigma of discrimination. Bruce your
tournament is also an invitational which means that you can discriminate at
will. I know they are not illegal as your are a 5013c exempt association but is
that the moral criteria you think we should follow. So OK, don't let me play in
your tournaments but at least let me count on you vote when the time comes. I
know we have disagreements on how we have conducted ourselves regarding the
USBGA, but I have always fought for your rights and supported your right to
express you opinions. You may recall that I spoke out at the 2008 AGM for the
board to listen to Dick Pomo. I did not speak because I believed in what he was
saying, I just thought that he had the right to say it. I may be missing
something here, but to quote an old friend, "this sure feels like a slap in the
face to me."
To this regard, I do not know the details of Brian's Tournament or the
stipulations of the IBGA to play in it but can't imagine he feels very
different than I do right about now. I don't think that I can change the minds
of the old guard or the rules of the IBGA but I am pretty sure that none of us
can do either by ourselves. We may may want to swallow a little pride and
maintain our friendships. Your words say I have your friendship. I would feel a
hell of a lot better if i could have your support.Barry

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390706/direct/01/