[muscle] Re: PHP Extension for MUSCLE client API

  • From: Justin Hammond <justin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: muscle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:57:15 +0800

Hi,
I'm also looking at PHP support in muscle, and was going to look into the Swig software calling the C API. Right now I'm actually updating the C muscle API with support for queryfilters first. (and will send through the code when its running!)

Justin

On 19 Jan 2006, at 1:39 PM, Jeremy Friesner wrote:

Hi Jessica,

I'm not very familiar with PHP, so I can't really give any good advice
on how to write a PHP extension. MUSCLE does have client APIs
for Python, Java, C#, and C, however, so if you could use any of
those languages instead (or possibly find a way to run code written
in those languages from a PHP script... I don't know if that is possible
or not) then that might be a solution for you.

Aside from that, the remaining options would be to write a PHP extension
that calls the C or C++ code for you, or write your own native PHP code
to receive, parse, generate, and send MUSCLE messages. Neither of
those two options would be very easy, but if you want to give it a try
let me know and I will point you to the relevant MUSCLE documentation.

-Jeremy

ps here is a link about calling Java code from PHP: http:// www.phpbuilder.com/manual/ref.java.php

For something I'm going to be experimenting with, I'm going to need to
make a PHP extension for PHP5 5.1.1. I have MUSCLEd compiled and
running on a FreeBSD server. The problem is that I've not built a PHP
extension for any version of PHP4 or PHP5, nor do I work with C++.
Guidance and assistance in helping build the MUSCLE client API as a PHP
extension is greatly appreciated.

~Jessica