[muglo] Re: printers/ink/etc.

  • From: Rob Vanhooren <rob_vanhooren@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:46:42 -0500

You might want to look into a CIS (Continuous Inking System) for your printer.

Essentially, a set of external bulk ink tanks and a feeder system.  4oz. vs.
15mL for each colour.

Initial setup and cost are a bit steep (perhaps USD$200 ballpark for a set, and
30min to physically install) but you get the equivalent of about 12 cartridges
worth of ink -- so you're ahead of the game on cost in the end.

Not something you'll find in the consumer space; it's more of a pro item... but
well worth it if you're printing load is of any significance.

One thing to note if you're looking at a new printer: the Canon/Epson uses a
different type of ink than HP.  Dye-based (eg. HP) dry faster and are less
complicated vs. pigment-suspension based (eg. Epson UltraChrome).  Pigment inks
want better paper, but have a much higher longevity, enable wider gamut
perception, and present less fading over time  -- something to consider if
you're doing photo prints.

HP makes nice, *cheap*, consumer printers, and their DesignJets are nice for
spot-colour work -- but for photo work, RIPs or CMYK proof seps, you'll want to
go with the others.

In the consumer space, Epson 960 ($200) just got a 'Best of the Year' award
from Macworld.
The 2200 is a mid-range pro-sumer ($700 list, perhaps $550 street)
For serious work, jump all over a Stylus Pro 4000 ($1800 list, street varies
considerably); I can't sing enough praise for the 4000.
Stay away from a 7600 or 9600 ($4-6k) ... they're workhorses but *way*
overpriced for what you get.

Places to look:

 www.wilhelm-research.com
and
 www.lyson.com

Google around, I'm sure you'll find something you like.

Cheers,

Rob.

 --
Rob M. VanHooren