Re: [muglo] What makes a Mac?

  • From: Tee Cashmore <teecashmore@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 19:26:19 -0500

On 30-Jan-08, at 7:42 PM, Doug Bale wrote:

> what's left in a Mac that's unique, apart from
> the system software and bundled apps that come with it?

I think that you have answered your own question really. Surely "the
system software & bundled Apps" is unique to Macs, always has been.
As to the hard drive, yes you could of course run Vista, with all its
problems, simply because a hard drive is just that. They are simply
formatted with the applicable O/S since Macs & Windoze machines both
use the same basic hardware, but it used to be SCSI for Mac, ATA for
Windoze. This, among other things, is why Macs are now more
reasonably priced than they used to be.
As to the last question, I believe the answer is the programming of
the Intel chip is quite different, therefore it just would not work!
TeeC