[muglo] Re: muglo Digest V9 #230

  • From: Wayne Dobson <pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 14:58:39 -0500

Just to wrap up: I have 2 Macs running and both backup drives quit
around the same time(so I thought). Turns out the enclosures were
defective, not the drives themselves. Two new enclosures @ $19.99 and
all is well. By the way, LaCie enclosures don't work better or last
any longer than el-cheapos. Shopping tip: If you're looking for a new
hard drive, it is probably cheaper to buy one in an USB enclosure,
remove it and throw out the enclosure. This same logic showed up at
Home Depot where a 6 foot length of ABS pipe is $3.88 and a 3 foot
length is $3.89.
The seemingly constant backup spinner has been relegated to once-daily
backups via 'Time Machine Editor'. By designating temporary movie
files not to be backed up, I have reclaimed 100 Gb of drive space,
thus allowing many more backups to be stored. By the way, you can
erase a whole day's backup file, but not a folder within it. If you do
drag a backup file out of the drive by mistake, it can't be put back -
be careful.

My apologies for writing a blog, but it's been a slow month in MUGLO-
land.

>> Hi - my original problem - which led to the purchase of a new backup
>> drive - was that the old one ran out of room - time machine wasn't
>> overwriting as it backed up - I also couldn't find a way to erase
>> the old drive! I'm hoping that I won't run into this problem
>> again .... but as a precaution, I downloaded the time machine editor.
>>
> Manage your account options at //www.freelists.org/list/muglo

Wayne Dobson
pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx
(519) 474-1253 res.