[muglo] Re: iBook and OSX

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:33:27 -0400

My $0.02 on an old message.

366 MHz ought to be OK for OS X.

I've got OS X 10.2.6 on my partner's PowerBook G3 (Lombard - USB) 333 MHz,
128 MB of RAM. She uses it primarily for Safari (since there are no OS 9
browsers that come even close to the worst OS X browsers for speed,
stability, looks and compatibility), for playing Solitaire and booting into
OS 9 to run Microsoft Word (she likes OS 9 for Word rather than Classic).

Since you're updating get 256 MB of RAM (actually 320 MB = 64 MB + 256 MB)
or, AT THE VERY LEAST 128 MB (192 = 64 + 128). It would be a waste of money
to get anything less (unless you're getting the 64 MB for free ;-).

OS X runs in 128 MB but to shine (and run more than one app at a time) it
needs at least 256 MB.

Eric.

>From: Leith Peterson <lpeterso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [muglo] iBook and OSX
>Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 16:43:28 -0400
>
>I'm thinking of updating my iBook to OSX and I was just wondering
>about the mhz.  Mine has:
>
>366 mhz
>256k cache
>64M SDRAM
>10G HD
>24X CD
>ENET
>56K modem
>Firewire port
>audio/video port
>
>I'm thinking of updating to either 128 RAM or 256 RAM
>
>Based on some research I did, it appears for video conferencing I
>would need 600 mhz and for iTunes I would need 400 mhz.  If I'm not
>planning to do either, do you think 366 mhz with the extra RAM will
>be good enough for OS X?  Do you think I should update to 256 RAM, or
>do you think 128 RAM will be sufficient?  Pls let me know.  Thanks.

You'll be able to run iTunes just fine. I can run iTunes on my 400 MHz Pismo
(PowerBook G3) and it only consumes 17% of CPU time! You won't be able to
run iChat video conferencing (since you don't have FireWire or the CPU speed
;-) but iChat audio conferencing will work fine (router permitting) since
I've run it on our 333 MHz Lombard, a computer that's basically on-par with
yours

(the PowerBooks have a little more oemph than the iBooks of the subsequent
generation... the iBook G3s are essentially the PowerBook G3 of the previous
generation repackaged into a slightly smaller package with an intentionally
crippled video card).

Eric.

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen
Technology

first two months FREE*.