[muglo] Re: changing contrast

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 13:55:34 -0500

On Feb 3,2007, at 9:09 AM, Theresa Roth wrote:

> I have scanned a chart onto my laptop and it is now saved as a tiff
> image. I need to change the contrast as some of the squares have a grey
> background and I can't see the printed numbers when I print it out. Any
> ideas on how to either scan it with a different contrast or
> manipulate/print it once it is saved?
>
> Mac Powerbook G4 OS X 10.3.9
> HP Scanjet 4600
> Office for Mac 2001
>
> and lots of other stuff I don't yet know how to use!

I suspect what you might have to do is open the scan in something like
GraphicConverter and change the background colour to white or
something.  Most programs that let you do editing have a little eye
dropper icon that you can click on to pick up a colour and then a paint
can icon to choose the alternate colour that it is to replace.  When
you put the paint can on the background colour and pour (click) on it
it changes it to that colour.  Keep in mind that only the pixels of the
same colour touching each other will have their colour changed.  Given
it's a tiff file there are probably many 'different' colours making up
that background.

The paint program in AW would allow some of that but not nearly as well
as other programs.  I'm sure Photoshop, PS Lite and other graphics
programs would do something similar - even Word has some limited
graphics abilities.

Martin