[muglo] Re: Thank you, a PPD problem, and Parallels

  • From: "Ferguson, Don" <fergdc@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 18:58:23 -0600

Greetings  "Tom Stewart" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 29/04/2010 at 12:26 you wrote concerning
[muglo] Re: Thank you, a PPD problem, and Parallels

Hi Tom,

TS> Congratulations on the new machine.

:-)  :-)

TS> Bootcamp is an Apple program which allows you, when you turn on your
computer, to select whether you want to run Windows or OSX. At that point your
computer is one or the other OS. You can't run programs in both OSs at the same
time.

Yes, I concluded that from reading the BootCamp docs, but happy to read your
confirmation.

TS> Other options include using Parallels or some other VM (virtual machine)
which allows you to run both Windows and OSX at the same time and enabling you
to pass files from one to the other.

TS> I just installed VirtualBox from Sun Microsystems on my new iMac. It is a
free VM with a few less features than Parallels, but that brings the advantage
of it being less complex.

It is good to know that this can be achieved. Thanks.

TS> I have been running Parallels for about 2 years so I can run Quicken and
Ufile software on the mac. It works well but I would prefer to find a match for
Quicken which runs on OSX.

With the iMac I went to
    http://www.ufile.ca
and was able to complete my tax forms with relative ease. The cost was $16.75
including GST. Thought that was a reasonable deal. I think the QuickTax package
cost my friend $29.95, but with it you can do up to eight tax returns. Never
used one of these tax programs before, and noticed I almost spent as much time
checking the programs results than if done manually.   :-)   But it was much
easier with UFile.

TS> If you are only looking to run a tax program there is a Canadian tax
software program which runs on OSX at http://www.taxfreeway.ca/mac.

Thanks for the reference. I'll look it up soon so I don't forget for next year.

TS> My project for Saturday is to build a Windows machine under bootcamp as my
wife is having trouble running some of her Windows drawing programs under
Parallels and she can't print duplex through the Parallels print driver.

Not good! Good luck with that project.

TS> As Gerhard says in his post you do need to have a licensed copy of Windows
to install on the Virtual machine regardless of whether you are running
Bootcamp or a VM.

Yes.

<<snip>>

Cheers  Don (Green Dragon)