[muglo] Scanner issues

  • From: Leith Peterson <lpeterso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 20:39:30 -0400

Theresa:  I didn't have time to follow the discussion before
regarding your scanner problem, but I just surmounted my own scanner
problem, and thought I would pass on what I learned for what it's
worth to you and to anyone else who might be having scanner problems.

I have a UMAX Astra 3450 flatbead scanner, which I'm using with an
iBook running 9.2.2.  The software that came with it was really
buggy.  In fact, a couple of other MUGLOites complained about the
software as well.  With the help of various people, I located some
third party software by Hamrick called Vuescan.  It's available in OS
9, X, Windows and Linux, although Hamrick is no longer providing
updates to the OS 9 version.

It appeared to work fine when I first tried it and bought it, but
after that I started to have problems.  After a few hassles, I was
able to determine that the only way it would work was if I opened
this file that was produced when I initially launched the app, which
had an extension .in1.  Nothing in the instructions said that, but it
turned out if only if I launched this file, and not the actual app,
could I get it to work.

I also discovered that it simply would not work properly and I was
getting all kinds of error messages until I upgraded my RAM to 320
megs.  Hamrick also suggested vastly increasing virtual memory.  All
this, combined with using the OS Base extension set and Vuescan, has
led to it working properly at last.