[muglo] Radeon Video (was: G3/G4 difference? )

  • From: Alex <admeddemda@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:14:23 -0500

>OS X and Quartz on a B&W G4/500 will make use of every last ounce of
>hardware acceleration available in the 16 MB ATI RAGE 128 PRO. It's this
>Quartz Extreme thingy that won't be available to you (?) (I don't have it so
>I don't know what it does) but regular old acceleration is _fully_ utilised
>(trust me, there's a huge difference b/t 16 and 8 MB of video RAM, more than
>can be explained by 50 MHz speed difference).

well, I've now managed to flash a mac rom onto an ATI Radeon 7000
64MB PCI video card. So if the B&W is in my future, that's the video
I'd put in it.

A note about the flashing. It took me several days of work, over a
couple weeks, to figure out exactly what to do on the pc (unless you
are _very_ good with pc's and DOS, the info on the web isnt very
clear).
Also, only some PC's will work... those with built in video,
maybe/maybe not, depending if you can get an additional pci video
card to work, as in 2 pci cards, bc you cant flash the readeon if
youre using it to boot off. (and for some stupid reason the PC wont
boot off built in video if you put a video card in it).
And older PC's, as in Pentium 1's, seems like it's hit and miss as to
whether they'll work. I found, after going though 4 PC's that the one
that worked was a P1 with the newer style ram.
Also, if the machine is running XP or some other non-DOS bootable OS,
you'd have to make a DOS boot disk, bc you have to be in dos to make
this flash program work.

Anyway, now I know how to do it, it seems easy. But the time and
frustration involved, for me, really wasnt worth the savings of maybe
$100.

The card certainly feels faster than my ATI Rage 8MB card, but I have
yet to get this tower to boot into OSX with the radeon, so I dont
know how much faster X will feel, yet. From what I've read it's huge
improvement.

--
-------
Free yourself from auto dependence...