[muglo] Re: Lower Speed

  • From: "Eric Dunbar" <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 13:55:21 -0400

I'm surprised you found a slow-down with the OS upgrade. I've found
each iteration of Mac OS X to actually speed things up
(10.1->10.2->10.3->10.4. The slow down comes from doing more ;-).

As for RAM: YES, UPGRADE!!!

128 MB has NEVER been enough to run OS X. 192 MB is the absolute
theoretical minimum (though, I know enough people who have suffered
with 128 MB) IMNSHO and 256 is the lowest practical amount. I would
recommend going to 320 MB or even more.

What computer are you running Paul?

I just upgraded two "Lombards" (PowerBook G3 "Bronze") each from 128
MB (2x64) to 320 MB (1x64,1x256) for 50 USD (and, with crude oil so
high our dollar has been flying high... 50 USD is now peanuts... isn't
it great being a bit of an oil currency :-(

I received many offers for ~$30/256 MB stick for the Lombard and some
$15/128 MB (2x128 would take a PowerBook G3 to 256).

If you want, I can even forward them to you (if you're using a Lombard/Pism=
o).

If you're running a desktop machine you should find that used RAM is a
bit cheaper still.

PS It's not worth buying new old RAM... you're going to pay a huge
premium for a warrantee on RAM that's going into a machine that's
already waaaaay out of date (and probably not worth much more than the
RAM itself :-(.

PS^2 If you are running a Lombard/Pismo make sure you get the right
"density" 256 MB chips or else you'll end up with a 128 MB chip (there
are chips out there that are 256 MB but the PowerBook G3s can only
make use of half of that).

Eric.

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html

            http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/