[muglo] Re: Jakob Nielsen's views re online generic images

  • From: Doug Bale <dougbale@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 10:52:31 -0400

On 6-Aug-11, at 5:44 AM, Leith Peterson wrote:
Yesterday I learned about the work of Jakob Nielsen. He did a study which showed that people often ignore online generic images, so it is usually better to add original photography. Below is a link to an article about this. My experience has been that when a blogger uses the same image over and over again, it alerts me to the fact that he/she is trying to establish a certain mood.

I would think it depends on what you want to accomplish with the image. The stock photo of a television set showing "a guy in a canoe" might be useless for selling television sets but effective in a Participaction ad telling people to get off the couch and enjoy the outdoors rather than just watching other people do it. In other cases images can simply set a mood, as you say, rather than requiring the viewer's conscious attention to themselves.