[muglo] Re: Fw: EXE viewer

  • From: Eurogarth <eurogarth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Muglo@Freelists. Org" <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 08:44:53 -0400

9 out of 10? More like 1 in a billion!

While, for sure my experience is a "sample of one" and should not be taken
as valid across an entire community of millions, I'm pretty sure I'm not
alone on this...

I've been a networked Pc user since 1986 In all that time I've had 1 pesky
but harmless "wazzu" virus from Microsoft Word and another quite harmless (I
love you) mail virus. I receive dozens of e-mails each day. I've never had
virus software installed on my software, although to be totally fair, the IT
guys certainly have and over the years I've had maybe 4-5 "IT has deleted
the attachment due to possible infection" messages.

There's no doubt that a virus can be quite harmful, but it's not exe files
but rather vbe (visual basic) files that carry the ones doing real damage.

Sorry for the rant, but, for me at least, it's wildly exaggerated claims
that do more harm than the actual infections... I've gotten thousands of
"there's new virus" hoax messages over the years and just 2 infections.

Garth.