[muglo] Re: CSV File => the easy way

  • From: dplumley@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:52:10 -0500

I just sent Terry a Numbers version of his CSV file.

I opened the CSV in TextEdit. Then, under Edit => Find which opens a
Find/Replace window. I told it to replace all the semi-colons with commas, then
saved as a .csv file with a different name. The new file, opened in Numbers,
looks as it does in QuickLoook.

(there was one slight adjustment to make, though, in Row 25)

Quoting Dave Knight <dave@xxxxxxx>:
> Excel has an import tool which would let you pick your choice of column
> delimiter, Numbers doesn't. It's commas or nothing.
> There are many ways to replace the ; with , in your file, here's one using
> one of the UNIX tools on your Mac
> Save your CSV file on your Desktop
> Start a terminal
>         /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
> Run these commands in the terminal
>         cd Desktop
>         sed 's/;/,/g' SYNAVE.CSV > SYNAVE-2.CSV
>
> That changes into the Desktop folder, then has the sed utility switch (s///)
> all (/g) ';' to ',' in the file SYNAVE.CSV and save the result in
SYNAVE-2.CSV

> You should then be able to SYNAVE-2.CSV in Numbers and have good things
happen.