[mswindowsxp] User Shell Folders, UsrClass.dat

  • From: David Spanne <werenomads@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:23:56 -0800

Our current network consists of XP workstations and NT4 servers (M$ told us they
would play well together, but they don't - we will be moving to server 2003 but
that is still months away due to the size of the network.)  We have had lots of
problems with users profiles not updating at logout; the users Usrclass.dat file
(default location %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\windows) does not update. M$ won't admit the Web Client is the
cause, but turning off the "Web Client" (setting to manual and restarting)
service stops these errors.

My questions
1) What is the usrclass.dat file (registry subset?) and what does it do?
2) I know we can make the History (%userprofile%\Local Settings\History)
non-roaming.  Can we make the Local AppData path (%userprofile%\Local
Settings\Local AppData and its subs) non-roaming, which includes things like the
IconCache.db, folders "CD Burnning" and most unknown to me, usrclass.dat, or is
this a bad idea?

David Spanne

This mail sent through GTC Telecom's webmail interface.