[msexchange] Re: Email Delays

  • From: Sean Carr <pne1881@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: msexchange@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 23:06:45 +0000 (GMT)

One or two of these delayed emails would *of course* involve top
management!

I sent a few test emails before I went on site. They arrived no
problem and with no delay.

Nothing weird appeared in the Event Viewer of the Exchange 2000
server (but for a few failed SMTP relay attempts).
Perfmon is happy - hardware is more than adequate.

Surfcontrol is installed on an NT4 box - usual checks, nothing
strange, could maybe do with a defrag though.

So far there have been no further delayed emails but it's only
Tuesday...

At this stage I'd imagine the delayed external emails are ISP
related but that doesn't explain the delayed internal ones.

I enabled Message Tracking on Exchange - haven't used this before.

Does anyone have pointers on Message Tracking? Specifically what to
do if (and when) a message shows as being submitted to the server at
(say) 9.00am and not passed to Advanced Queue until (say) 11.30am?

Carl Black wrote:
>Sean,
>In my experiance, these sorts of things are nearly always delays
>with DNSlookups.  In fact, DNS is the root of *all* evil in the
>world :-)

Thanks for the suggestion Carl. I agree - DNS is the work of the
devil but NSLOOKUP reveals what it should. Are you suggesting
setting scavenging?

It's a weird one - no apparent problems with internal resolution and
nearly all email is getting thru quickly.

Bye for now,
Sean Carr
Techniche Ltd.

Use the below link for Archives,