[msexchange] Re: ESEUTIL

  • From: Carl Black <CarlB@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: msexchange@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 13:11:44 +1300

Christine,
*still* 5.5 on 2k? hehe tut tut and all that :-)

The amount of space regained from an offline defrag is dependant entirely on
how much "white space" is in the database in the first place.  This seems
obvious, I know - but hear me out.
Exchange never shrinks it's databases, unless you defrag them, because it
assumes new data will be coming in very shortly, and having the disk space
"reserved" in this way makes life easier (principally, the db file is less
likely to become physically fragmented on the disk in the event that this
volume is used for anything else).
This principal holds true in most environments, including yours I suspect -
as a result, the only time you're likely to see a significant reduction in
file size (and the only time this is desirable), is if for some reason
you've removed a large amount of data from the db, and you never expect it
to be replaced... say, after migrating a boatload of users to another
server, or if your organisation has gone through a dotcom crash style user
purge.

In short, I shouldn't be surprised or concerned.

As for why the event wasn't logged - have you actually enabled logging for
these events?

One more thing - since the defrag performs soft recovery before it runs, in
the process writing the logs to the db, wouldn't it actually be possible for
the db file to grow *larger* after a defrag?  ideas, anyone?

Sorry about the long post.  Time for a coffee, methinks.

Carl.