[msb-alumni] Re: Good movie today.

  • From: Steve <pipeguy920@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <msb-alumni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 13:45:27 -0400

I remember that movie; it was inspired by Harold Krents, a Harvard Law School graduate who was blind, and got rejection letters from law firms that he hadn't even applied with. A movie that was a more biographical portrayal was "To Race the Wind," which came out in 1980; and Harold Krents' own book of that title.

Interestingly, I have a bit of a tie to Krents. I didn't find out about this until three years after I was hired, but when Kaiser decided to assign me to the Mead Works smelter, they hired Harold Krents, who was with "Mainstream," the organization he headed to increase employment of the disabled, to come out and talk with plant management about working with a blind person.

There were two consequences of his visit that I know of: The first was that I think my hiring was partially delayed until they could get him out to talk with the people at the plant; the second was that I think he convinced them that I needed my own secretary to handle dictation, serve as my reader, and escort me around the plant.
(I did have a couple people serve in that role for about a year. But, the person was cut in the first round of layoffs that hit the industry in the 1982 recession, when the number of salaried employees at our plant went from 314 to 82 in five phases.

One of the other unfortunate aspects that I found out later was that a lot of the people in the administration felt that I shouldn't cross the entrance to go from the Admin Building to the building I worked in because they were afraid I might get hit by one of the large trucks that went in and out of that drive to the street. I routinely navigated that area, as well as a couple areas on plant property that were nearby.

I did not have the courage though to travel independently in the area of the plant where it was noisy, or where cranes traveled over your head with a few tons of molten aluminum. I had a couple readers that I could feel visibly shrinking when those cranes came by when I went out to just mingle in the plant.

As I recall, I think Harold Krents was a bit more dependent on, and quite often had, sighted help with him -- whether that be his mother when he was younger, or girlfriends as he began to live on his own.

Steve
Class of '72

----- Original Message ----- From: "Fred Olver" <fredolver@xxxxxxxxx>