[mountainmilers] Going to run in the national forest near Tonto Rd.

  • From: Terri Rashid <terri@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 02:15:17 +0000

Since I didn't get any replies to my email about Groom Creek (which I know is
probably because everyone is out doing fun things on a Saturday! :)) Rick and I
are just going to run closer to home.  I have a little loop on some 4-wheel
drive roads in the national forest that I wanted to show to him, so this looks
like a good opportunity.

We've both signed up for a ~9-mile trail race in Butte, Montana in June with
some friends from Big Sky, so I need to get Rick some practice at running on
uneven surfaces.  We'll start with rough dirt roads and then move on to
singletrack!  The race is the Wulfman Continental Divide Trail 14K and from the
description it sounds like a lot of fun.  It's single-track so there is no mass
start - instead runners are released onto the trail one at a time, several
seconds apart (I think like 10-15 seconds, but I can't remember).  The running
order is determined by your estimated finish time / pace plus whatever else
race management wants to factor in.  I guessed a finish time of around 1:50:00,
for a trail pace of 12:40.  That might or might not be reasonable, depending on
the trail, but it certainly won't put us in the way of any of the "rabbits" in
the race.

.Terri