[molions] Confusion about Test

  • From: "J. Y. Miller" <j.y.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "molions@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <molions@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 08:22:38 -0500

Lions

A recent new member commented about the "test" references in several recent
posts.

Our State Office had asked about the fact that Brenda did not usually see her
own posts. The list is set so that users WILL see their own posts. I was trying
to resolve this and I asked Brenda to post some news as a test to see if it was
still happening. Brenda sent a short message that simply said "test".

I learned long ago that such a message will often result in scores of replies
stating things like "You passed" or "I got it", etc. This happens even when the
test message says to not reply.

In the meantime, I discovered that G-mail will automatically stop your own
posts from appearing in your inbox. This is a "feature" of G-mail and G-mail
users get this no matter how I have the list options set. Folks with G-mail
addresses CAN see their posts in their SENT folder. If someone replies to the
post, both the reply and the original post will appear in the OP's (original
poster)  mailbox.

I posted this information to the list.

I had asked Brenda to send E-mail to her distribution lists informing Lions of
our MOLIONS  mailing list. She did so and we have a number of new subscribers
as a result. Those that came on board AFTER the "test" message would not have
seen it and might very well wonder what the "test" is that a number of folks
have referenced.

I am sorry that is is so long, but I wanted to clear up any confusion.

If you are still with me, please know that any list works better and is easier
to follow if you do the following:

1) Start a new message instead of just clicking on reply if you are sending a
message that is not a reply to the one you are currently reading.
2) Always put a subject in the subject line that gives a hint to the message
content.
3) Always sign your posts so that readers know who has said what. I recommend
using a signature block like mine below that is automatically appended to each
message.

YIL

J. Y.

           J. Y. Miller      Glasgow, MO