[modeleng] Re: [modeleng] Re: 3½ versus 5

  • From: "Jeff Dayman" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:17:11 -0400

I have seen Lucky 7 plans serialised years ago in Live Steam magazine from
the US. I wouldn't recommend Lucky 7 to anyone, as I saw a lot of stuff that
was unnecessarily complicated, some things were structurally weak, and a lot
of weird material sizes (for a US magazine) were specified. Final fitup of
the front end piping and smokebox looked almost impossible, and I remember
there were some complaints posted in the letters to Live Steam at the time.
It is supposed to be based on a US prototype but is somewhere between UK and
US practice. As I remember it, there was a major problem with the trailing
wheel axle and bearings as well, at least on the plans. Lanky was much
better (probably because it was a UK loco design Don Young actually knew
something about)

I haven't built a Lucky 7 (maybe some listers have) or an LBSC loco, but
based on design quality and the built engines I've seen, I would suggest
LBSC locos or Sweet Pea long before I would suggest Lucky 7. The only worse
plans I've seen out of the UK for a US locomotive than Lucky 7 is the
recently published Logger/Slogger loco in ME. If a US loco is desired, I
suggest looking at Allen Models or Little Engines for practical US designs.

Cheers, Jeff Dayman Waterloo Ontario Canada