[modeleng] Re: [modeleng] 3½ versus 5

  • From: "Jeff Dayman" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:27:56 -0400

Hi Jem,

Unless you like watchmaking, bigger models are easier to build. Smaller
parts are generally harder to hold while putting on the high cutting forces
needed in metal work. If you have a few parts beyond the size of your
equipment, chances are local industries or other club members will have
larger ones. I've found that if you show up to the back door of a machine
shop at lunch time with a tray of coffees, and tell the guys what you're up
to, they're generally glad to help, as long as you're not in a rush. When I
was in the toolroom, training, we loved jobs like that for Friday
afternoons.

Good luck, Jeff Dayman Waterloo Ontario Canada