[modeleng] "milling" cutters

  • From: "alanjstepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 13:46:36 +0100

I recently had a small job to do which required a slot in a piece of
aluminium.

Naturally I didnt have a slot drill of the right size, but could have made
multiple cuts using a different size.

Instead, and as an experiemnt, I decided to try using a router cutter.
These are now very cheap, and come in sets of assorted sizes / profiles.
Here, a set of 8 or 10 costs under £15.
They are also carbide tipped.

It cut beautifully, leaving a nice clean edge and true to size.
As an experiment, I tried it on brass, with the same results.
I did use a lower feed than I would have used with a proper milling cutter,
but the same speed.

Although I wouldnt use it on steel, it could be a nice cheap way to get
cutters for use on the softer metals.

alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering, Steam Engine, and Railway technical pages.