[modeleng] Re: electric arc welding matters

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 07:14:54 -0500

Terry me lad,

I have always heard that business about keeping low hydrogen rods dry, but
on occasion I have picked up pieces from a puddle of water and used them
rather than go back to the shop for fresh rods.  These pieces had been lying
out in the puddle for several days, but they welded just fine.  I am sure
the strength was not as great as it should have been, but hey, I saved some
walking time!!  [:>)  Biggest problem with moisture is that the heat causes
the flux to pop off and then the arc tries to run up the bare area of the
rod.  This is particularly bad with aluminium electrodes so I always warm
mine up with an acetylene torch until they are too hot to touch.  They then
weld just fine.  Well, they didn't weld worth a hoot on that aluminium dock
board that had a piece of brace channel pop orf the bottom.  Weld looked
beautimus and I patted myself on the back for several days till the board
came back with the same channel loose.  Welded it back using more rod and
again it looked wonderful.  Yep, it broke also in a few days.  Spoke to
welding supply salesman about it and he said the dock boards were made of
Magnesium as a rule so it was little wonder that I couldn't make the welds
hold!

Jesse, the lazy Tennessee Rebel