[modeleng] Re: coocking oil and petrol

  • From: john.burridge@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:55:19 +0100 (CET)

Hi to all,
While on the subjects of fuels, Petrol now has reduced the lead content to next
to nothing, but the so called green unleaded actully has more toxins that the
old leaded,I used to work on development engines and they find it very
difficult to get around predettornation with out putting some forms of
additives in even with the computorised management systems, also the waste
products that lead free produces is far in excess of the old emmissions that
lead fuel produced (published many time but the goverment seem to cover it up)
As for other alternatives for for petrol,diesel,there are many products that we
recycle that we could use for cars and other vehicles, hydrogen is slowly being
worked on as is fuel cells, we could look back to the war years when lots of
allternatives were tried.
enough of my waffle.
Regards John Burridge

> Message date : Oct 30 2004, 08:26 PM
> From : "Clif Walker"
> To : modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Copy to :
> Subject : [modeleng] Re: coocking oil.
> Hi Jeff and All,
>
> Thanks for the explanation.
> When I was talking to the Canadian motorist it was in Kellona in British
> Columbia and he had an old American Sports car.I forget the make but it was
> big and mean with a V8 lump under the bonnet.
> As he happened to have the bonnet up when I was passing I asked if I could
> be nosey and have a look.It was nice to see just a plain old big lump with a
> carburator instead of plumbing nightmares that we have over here now because
> of the anti-pollution regulations.
> If you look under the bonnet of a modern car now, there are so many pipes
> all doing strange things and all to supposedly cut down on pollution.
> All they seem to have basically done is cause the power output of the engine
> to be reduced as if you check the BHP outputs of the newer engines they are
> actually less or only equal to their predecessors whilst the engines have
> got technically much better.In the old days if you had a twin cam engine
> with lot of valves you had a real racing machine but even bog standard
> family saloons have them now.
> Even little 1000cc engine now have 16 valves just to get some go using the
> supposedly less polluting petrol.
> I have noticed over the last two years that the MPG from my car has got
> gradually worse and as it has only done 10,000 miles in that time the only
> variable is the rating of the petrol which gives less power.
>
> End of rant.
>
> Regards
>
> Clif
> > modeleng-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject