[modeleng] Workshed

  • From: Chris Crosskey <chris.crosskey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 18:43:27 +0000

Hi All.... thought I'd stick something on here before I get past the point of
no return...

I'm converting a sectional concrete garage-type building into a workshop...

So far I've built a brick wall across part of the front to accommodate the
"normal domestic exterior" double doors, and allowed for a flue exit for the
log-burner I'll make out of an old gas-bottle (now that this seems to be a
mature enough technology for there to be designs on the web) ...

Next step is to seal the floor and inside walls with tanking slurry.

Then to build low piers for the lathe and the mill, one brick deep for the
lathe, three bricks for the mill, concrete filled and topped with
self-levelling compound. The pier for the woodburner will be a pair of old
concrete sectional panels laid on the tanking slurry with an airgap underneath.

After that I've got a load of 1" thick Kingspan panels to insulate it with,
four layers in the roof, three on each wall (probably, might be biased 4"/2"to
one wall as other side has another shed against it) and an inch below the
flooring which will be 22mm moisture-resistant chip. Walls will be plasterboard
clad, as will the ceiling.

Question: With the two machines and the woodburner on piers without any
insulation or flooring under them will I need to put supporting strakes in the
floor or will I get away with laying the P5 directly on the Kingspan? The rest
of the stuff in there will be the usual assortment of dexion shelving, a
workbench that I will probably pier with a couple of bricks under each leg and
me, 14 stone on size 11 wide-fitting boots...

chrisc